S6C specialises in advanced level which means that we have a wide range of subjects which can be studied in almost any combination.
We have excellent, specialist study facilities – an Achievement and Progress Centre for private study, purpose designed science labs, fitness suite, fully equipped theatre, dance studio with sprung flooring and Multi-Use-Games-Area. Our staff are specialists too, experts in their subjects and in Advanced Level pedagogy and assessment. And you might be surprised at our class sizes too, the average across the college is 15 with no class over 24.
Being a sixth form college means we also specialise in advice and guidance in the university application process, that all our staff are involved in, and that there is plenty of support and expertise. We have also introduced ‘destinations’ tutor groups in Year 13; students are allocated to a tutor based on what they would like to do when they leave S6C. For example, Oxbridge applicants will be in a tutor group designed to give support through the application process, entrance exams, and interviews. Students wanting to apply for apprenticeships will work with a tutor who can guide them through the process of securing the right apprenticeship opportunity. S6C is officially an, apprenticeship champion.
Our ethos is to provide a bridge to university, apprenticeships and adult life. We provide a range of opportunities for students to get involved in activities outside the classroom, and we are expanding our offer. Students will be able to choose from a menu of activities including:
- Duke of Edinburgh – Bronze, Silver and Gold
- Specialist careers advice and experiences. For example, we run a mini pupillage with a Criminal Barrister in London. Students interested in a career in the NHS are given the opportunity to spend 3 days at the University Hospital in Southampton learning about medical careers, practising medical techniques and shadowing medical professionals. We also have a programme of speakers, trips, internships and work experience, support for university applications and tests
- Oxbridge entrance support
- Leadership skills
- Debates, Model UN and other personal presentation skills development
- Opportunities to get involved in sporting activities.
This year our A level results place us in the top 20% of colleges in the country when measured using value added. This means that our students make outstanding progress whatever their starting point.
We have a 99% pass rate at A level. We work hard with our students to ensure they can be the best they can be and we support students to progress on from Year 12 to Year 13 – very few students are unable to make that transition with our support.
Beyond the pass rate, here is a little bit more data..
- Nearly half of our A level students achieved A* to B
- Nearly ¾ achieving A* to C
- 2017 saw the first S6C student to progress on to the University of Oxford
- A significant increase in the numbers of students getting a place at Russell Group Universities
Read more about our latest results here: http://www.salisbury6c.ac.uk/press-release-results-2017/
View our latest Ofsted report here: http://www.salisbury6c.ac.uk/about-s6c/ofsted/