Elected by students for students
The Student Union is run by our Student Leadership Team, with a bit of staff help, to represent the interests of students and organise events and to feed back to the S6C Senior Leadership Team about student issues and concerns. The Student Union has representatives to assist with environmental concerns, along with equality and diversity (Megan Wilde) and College events (Nina Dyson). The Union is overseen by Jordan Markham (President) and he is assisted by Dylan Davis (Vice President).
Jordan Markham offers a snapshot of SU activity in the first term:
“The pandemic has obviously been an obstacle for us, as it has been for everyone, but I’m particularly pleased with how the Student Union approached the situation. Since we started last year, we have:
- Helped organise S6C’s Mental Health Awareness Day in October.
- Implemented student-requested changes to the Café menu, including more curry, and chips as an occasional treat.
- Improved eating and study space arrangements for students, including managing year group bubbles.
- Promoted important events such as Black History Month.
- Supported students in a variety of areas, such as period poverty, COVID-19 and LGBTQ+ support.
- Helped lead S6C’s COVID-19 response to ensure the safety and wellbeing of students.
- Promoted the College during occasions like virtual open evenings, videos and radio/news interviews
Rebecca Anderson our Pastoral Lead, had this to say about the team:
“We are very proud of our Student Union team and they are a pleasure to work with. We rely on their input to create a student-centred college, which grows and adapts with each new cohort of young people. The world will be safe in their hands!”
” I chose to study at S6C because of its warm welcoming atmosphere. There is an emphasis on learning skills away from the classroom which makes S6C students distinguishable from other college students. I wanted to stay and study in Salisbury, and why would you spend a lot of time travelling when there is an excellent choice right here? It has a strong hard working ethos and you can see how passionate the teachers are about their areas of study. It has a wide range of courses in the arts, humanities and sciences and has accommodated my choices both at the start and during my time here.
The clubs and societies have been re-launched this year to give even more opportunities to students. Debating, Film and Gaming societies have been very popular; as well as a STEM club to explore explosive practicals and experiments even if you don’t study a science. This was especially important to introduce a wider range of interests that students can become a part of. S6C also offers a vast number of trips including New York and an Iceland trip planned for next year. I know this college is helping me reach my full potential and I can’t imagine myself studying anywhere else.”